- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's The Carolinas & Georgia
At a Glance
- air-conditioned in summer
- lack of telephone service means complete solitude
- no stores on Cumberland
- communications to the mainland are limited
Check Rates from our Partners
Greyfield Inn Review
Once described as a "Tara by the sea," this turn-of-the-last-century Carnegie family home is Cumberland Island's only accommodation. Built in 1900 for Lucy Ricketson, Thomas and Lucy Carnegie's daughter, the inn is filled with period antiques, family portraits, and original furniture that evoke the country elegance of a bygone era. And the solitude offered by this 1,000-acre private compound also seems a luxury from the past. Prices include all meals, transportation by private boat from Fernandina Beach, FL, tours led by a naturalist, and bikes.
- Address: Southern end of the island, accessible by private boat from Fernadina Beach, FL, Cumberland Island, GA 31558 | Map It
- Phone: 904/261–6408; 866/401–8581
- Website: www.greyfieldinn.com
- Location: Cumberland Island
- 12 rooms, 4 suites.
- Rate includes all meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Here's a brief run down on our Savannah sojourn last month. Read more
My Lady Wife and I just spent a pleasant short visit to St Simons, GA (http://www.goldenisles.com/st-simons-island )
We stayed at the Ocean Inn and Suites (http://www.oceaninnsuites.com/ ) which Read more
Flying into Savannah for 4 days, staying at the Gastonian BnB, then to Hilton Head for 4 days.... we are renting a car upon arrival at Savannah........ and driving (three nights to get there) to New Orleans Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more