- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
To get around the Okefenokee swamplands you will need a motorboat, canoe, or kayak, or you'll have to book a tour. Rentals and tours are arranged through individual parks and local outfitters.
Three gateways provide access to the refuge: the eastern (and main) entrance at the Suwannee Canal Recreation Area, near Folkston; a northern entrance at the privately owned Okefenokee Swamp Park near Waycross; and a western entrance at Stephen C. Foster State Park, outside the town of Fargo. There are also two small boat launches (no facilities) at Kingfisher Landing and the Suwannee River Sill on the eastern and western sides, respectively.
The surrounding towns of Folkston, Waycross, and Fargo don't offer much as destinations themselves—they primarily serve as bases from which to visit the swamp.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's