- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
To get around the Okefenokee swamplands you will need a motorboat, canoe, or kayak, or you'll have to book a tour. Rentals and tours are arranged through individual parks and local outfitters.
Three gateways provide access to the refuge: the eastern (and main) entrance at the Suwannee Canal Recreation Area, near Folkston; a northern entrance at the privately owned Okefenokee Swamp Park near Waycross; and a western entrance at Stephen C. Foster State Park, outside the town of Fargo. There are also two small boat launches (no facilities) at Kingfisher Landing and the Suwannee River Sill on the eastern and western sides, respectively.
The surrounding towns of Folkston, Waycross, and Fargo don't offer much as destinations themselves—they primarily serve as bases from which to visit the swamp.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $152-$190 -- South Carolina: Hilton Head Resort at 30% Off Holiday Inn Resort The Beach House
- $159-$179 -- Ritz Carlton Atlanta in Spring, Save $80 Expedia
- $28 & up -- Car Rentals in Atlanta, up to 10% Off Sixt Rent a Car
- $255 -- 2-BR Villa at Hilton Head Beachfront Resort, 50% Off — $255 Marriott's Monarch at Sea Pines
- $67 -- 4-Star Atlanta Perimeter Hotel — $67 Hotwire.com