- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Canoeing and Camping
Okefenokee Wildlife Refuge. Wilderness camping, by canoe or kayak, in the Okefenokee's interior is allowed by permit only (for which there's a $10 fee per person, per night). Availability is limited and can fill up fast, especially in the cooler seasons. During March and April, the most popular months, trips are limited to two nights. Reservations can be made only by phone. Call the Okefenokee Wildlife Refuge headquarters weekdays between 7 am and 10 am within two months of your desired starting date to make a reservation. Folkston, GA. 912/496–3331. www.fws.gov/okefenokee.
Okefenokee Adventures. Guided overnight canoe trips can be arranged by this rental and guiding business. They also do 90-minute interpretive boat tours ($18) and have boat, canoe, and kayak rentals. 4159 Suwannee Canal Rd., Folkston, GA, 31537. 912/496–7156. www.okefenokeeadventures.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's