- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
You'll find a pleasant diversion at LaGrange, which lies 70 mi southwest of Atlanta via Interstate 85 and 27 mi northwest of Pine Mountain. A major cotton-growing region before the Civil War, the town's relative isolation from the battlefronts made it an ideal location for hospitals and convalescent centers. This was also home to the "Nancy Harts," the only all-female militia unit to serve in the war.
LaGrange Art Museum. Today the inviting town center is set around lovely LaFayette Square. Named for the Marquis de Lafayette, a major-general under General George Washington in the Revolutionary War, here's where to find the small but impressive LaGrange Art Museum and its exhibits by regional contemporary artists. 112 LaFayette Pkwy., 1 block off Sq.30240. 706/882-3267.
Bellevue. A little farther afield is Bellevue, a stately, colonnaded 1850s house, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and considered one of the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture in Georgia. 204 Ben Hill St., 30240. 706/884-1832.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $12.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Columbus Hotwire
- $11.95 & up : Compact rentals in Columbus — $12 Hotwire
Tomorrow I head out on my next trip: Georgia, Armenia, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan. Read more
Does anyone have any recommendations for well located, local (ie, non-chain, non-Marriott) hotels in these three cities (trip not until next August).
Thanks Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more