- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
You'll find a pleasant diversion at LaGrange, which lies 70 mi southwest of Atlanta via Interstate 85 and 27 mi northwest of Pine Mountain. A major cotton-growing region before the Civil War, the town's relative isolation from the battlefronts made it an ideal location for hospitals and convalescent centers. This was also home to the "Nancy Harts," the only all-female militia unit to serve in the war.
LaGrange Art Museum. Today the inviting town center is set around lovely LaFayette Square. Named for the Marquis de Lafayette, a major-general under General George Washington in the Revolutionary War, here's where to find the small but impressive LaGrange Art Museum and its exhibits by regional contemporary artists. 112 LaFayette Pkwy., 1 block off Sq.30240. 706/882-3267.
Bellevue. A little farther afield is Bellevue, a stately, colonnaded 1850s house, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and considered one of the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture in Georgia. 204 Ben Hill St., 30240. 706/884-1832.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Tomorrow I head out on my next trip: Georgia, Armenia, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan. Read more
Can any one advise us - we are thinking of using Castle and King or GeTS tour for our trip to India next year. Read more
· News & Features
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more