- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Locals can't get enough of Georgia football. They eat it for breakfast. Bobby Deen, son of Paula, may take a couple of days off from his busy schedule in September, but only to attend one of the first University of Georgia Bulldogs football games of the season.
If you want to make friends fast, express an interest in the Bulldogs—or "Dawgs," as they're better known in these parts. The famous mascot, nicknamed "Uga," hails from a line of white bulldogs that has been owned since the 1950s by Savannah resident Sonny Seiler. Once an attorney so prominent that he was featured in Hollywood's adaptation of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, he is a local celebrity in his own right. And don't be surprised if your waiter raises the sleeve of his T-shirt to show you his symbolic University of Georgia tattoo—"One big G!"
Speaking of stars, Michael Douglas endeared himself to an already adoring crowd at a Savannah Film Festival event a few years ago when his first comment was to acknowledge that the Dawgs had just won a close game—while the crowd had been watching that night's film. Cheers went up!
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe