- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Best Southern Soul Food in Savannah
Soul food has evolved from plantation and sharecropper kitchens, where the cheapest cuts of meat, the boniest fish, and home-garden vegetables fed many mouths for very little money. Today, those same cuts of meat and fish grace fine-dining menus, but savvy foodies know the best interpretations come from authentic soul food restaurants. Here are some of our favorites:
Marandy's. At Marandy's, chef Cynthia is famous for her tender oxtails, crisp fried whiting, and red velvet cake. Saturday is "Soul Food Spaghetti" day, when the week's leftover meats and seafood are combined in a giant pot of red sauce and tender pasta—it usually sells out during the first hour. 7010 Skidaway Rd. 912/692–0036 Closed Sun. and Mon.
Masada Café at the United House of Prayer. If you find yourself in a busy church parking lot at lunchtime, you're likely at Masada Café. Proceeds fund church mission work, and the daily changing cafeteria-style menu always offers several meat and vegetable options. You can't go wrong with the juicy meat loaf or braised pork chops smothered in cream gravy; stewed cabbage, baked squash, and buttery field peas are among a handful of daily changing sides. 2301 W. Bay St. 912/236–9499 Closed Sun. and Mon.
Sisters of the New South Café. Favorites here include smothered shrimp over rice, slow-cooked oxtails, and homemade desserts like gooey peach cobbler, decadent red velvet cake with cream-cheese frosting, and tangy Key lime pie. 2607 Skidaway Rd. 912/335–2761 Closed Sun. and Mon.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe