When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
Summer in the South can be unpleasant; temperatures of 90° or higher (plus humidity) cause even the most Southern of Southerners to wilt. The best time to visit Central Georgia is fall and spring, when temperatures are in the 60s and 70s and there are plenty of recreational activities to enjoy. Springtime is particularly lovely in Macon, as the cherry trees are in full bloom.
Spring, summer, and fall are prime times for travel in North Georgia. Weekends are far busier than weekdays, since many visitors drive up from nearby Atlanta for a short getaway. For the mountains, the ideal time is October and early November, when fall color is at its peak. Don't arrive without reservations during spring and early fall festival weekends, when visitors head north to enjoy the spring wildflowers, fall apple and pumpkin harvests, and absolutely blissful weather.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $67 -- 4-Star Atlanta Perimeter Hotel Hotwire.com