Brasstown Bald Review
In the Chattahoochee National Forest, Brasstown Bald reaches 4,784 feet, the highest point in Georgia. Below the Bald is Georgia's only cloud forest, an area of lichen-covered trees often kept wet by clouds and fog. From the observation platform at the top of the Bald on a clear day you can see Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. A paved but steep foot trail leads from the parking lot (where there are restrooms and a picnic area) to the visitor center, which has exhibits and interpretative programs. You also can ride a bus ($3) to the visitor center.
- Address: GA 180 Spur, 18 mi southwest of Hiawassee via U.S. 76, GA 75, GA 180, and GA 180 Spur, Hiawassee, GA, 30512
- Phone: 706/896–2556
- Cost: $3 day-use fee, $3 shuttle
- Hours: Mid-Mar.–late Nov., daily 10–5
- Website: www.fs.fed.us/conf
- Location: Hiawassee, Young Harris and Lake Chatuge