- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hiawassee, Young Harris and Lake Chatuge
The little town of Hiawassee, population 750, and nearby Young Harris, population 600, are near the largest lake in North Georgia, Lake Chatuge, and the tallest mountain in the state, Brasstown Bald. The lake has excellent boating and other water-themed recreation. Appealing mountain resorts are nearby as well. A half-hour drive leads to Brasstown Bald, where temperatures even on the hottest summer day rarely rise above 80∞F. The Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds has a permanent location on the shores of Lake Chatuge. A number of festivals are held at the fairgrounds, including the Fall Festival, and State Fiddler's Convention in October and the Georgia Mountain Fair held in July.
Hiawassee, Young Harris and Lake Chatuge at a Glance
Elsewhere in Central and North Georgia
- Blue Ridge
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's