- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Taxi service in Atlanta can be uneven. Drivers often lack correct change, so bring along plenty of small bills. You can also charge your fare, as many accept credit cards. Drivers may be as befuddled as you are by the city's notoriously winding streets, so if your destination is somewhere other than a major hotel or popular sight, bring along printed directions, or have your smartphone's GPS set up.
In Atlanta taxi fares begin at $2.50, then add $2 for each additional mile. Additional passengers are $2 each, and there's a $2 gas surcharge added to every trip. You generally need to call for a cab, as Atlanta is not a place where you can hail one on the street. Buckhead Safety Cab and Checker Cab offer 24-hour service.
Buckhead Safety Cab (404/233–1152.)
Checker Cab (404/351–1111. www.atlantacheckercab.com.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's