- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Atlanta, the state's capital and seat of Fulton County, was founded in 1837 and sits on the Piedmont Plateau in northern Georgia. Though the metro area spans 8,000 square miles, don't let the sprawling size—or all the transplanted Yankees—fool you into thinking Southern hospitality is dead. It's alive and well in Atlanta's pith-helmeted Downtown ambassadors, drawling coffee-mug fillers, waving neighbors, and good ol' boy politicians.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe