- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
MARTA has clean and safe subway trains with somewhat limited routes that link Downtown with many major landmarks, like the CNN Center and the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. The system's two main lines cross at the Five Points station. MARTA uses a smart-card fare system called Breeze. The cards are available at RideStores and from vending machines at each station by using cash or credit cards. The one-way fare is $2, but the cards offer several options, including weekend, weekly, and monthly passes.
Trains generally run weekdays 5 am to 1 am and weekends and holidays 6 am to 12:30 am. Most trains operate every 15 to 20 minutes; during weekday rush hours, trains run every 10 minutes.
Locals take MARTA to and from Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, which has the traffic snarls common with larger airports. The $2 fare is a fraction of the amount charged by shuttles or taxis. Airport travelers should be careful about catching the right train. One line ends up at North Springs station to the north. The other at Doraville station, to the northeast. Daily parking is free at MARTA parking facilities. Long-term parking rates range from $5 to $8 daily. All stations do not have lots, however.
MARTA (404/848-5000. www.itsmarta.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $159-$179 -- Ritz Carlton Atlanta in Spring, Save $80 Expedia
- $67 -- 4-Star Atlanta Perimeter Hotel Hotwire.com
- $28 & up -- Car Rentals in Atlanta, up to 10% Off Sixt Rent a Car