- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International (ATL), the busiest passenger airport in the world, is served by more than 26 airlines, including AirTran, Continental, and Delta. Although an underground train and moving walkways help you reach your gate more quickly, budget a little extra time for negotiating the massive facility. Because of the airport's size, security lines can be long, especially during peak travel periods. The airport typically suggests arriving two hours before your flight.
The airport is 13 mi south of Downtown. There are large parking facilities, but they tend to fill up quickly. Check their current capacity, which is available on the airport's Web site. Locals know that MARTA, the regional subway system, is the fastest and cheapest way to and from the airport, but taxis are available. The fare to Downtown is about $35 for one person. From the airport to Buckhead, the fare is $38 for one person (though some politicians are trying to raise it). Buckhead Safety Cab and Checker Cab offer 24-hour service.
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (6000 N. Terminal Pkwy., Atlanta, GA, 30320. 404/530-7300. www.atlanta-airport.com.)
Atlanta Airport Superior Shuttle vans run daily every 30 minutes between 6 am and 11:30 pm to Perimeter Center offices, hotels, and residences. The trip can take 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the traffic. The cost typically ranges from $27 to $32 one way. Atlanta Link operates vans every 15 minutes between 6 am and midnight to Downtown, Midtown, and the Buckhead-Lenox area. Vans heading Downtown cost a minimum of $17 for the 20-minute trip. Vans to Midtown cost a minimum of $19 for the 40-minute trip, and vans to the Buckhead-Lenox area cost about $21 for the 45-minute trip.
Airport Metro Shuttle operates shuttles around the clock to destinations around the region. Reservations must be made at least 12 hours in advance. Typical fee is $48 for one passenger to Marietta.
Airport Metro Shuttle (404/766-6666. airportmetro.com.)
Atlanta Airport Superior Shuttle & Limo (404/457—4794. atlsuperiorshuttle.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $159-$179 -- Ritz Carlton Atlanta in Spring, Save $80 Expedia
- $67 -- 4-Star Atlanta Perimeter Hotel Hotwire.com
- $28 & up -- Car Rentals in Atlanta, up to 10% Off Sixt Rent a Car