- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mission: SPACE ride
Mission: SPACE ride Review
It took five years for Disney Imagineers, with the help of 25 experts from NASA, to design Mission: SPACE, the first ride ever to take people "straight up" in a simulated rocket launch. The story transports you and co-riders to the year 2036 and the International Space Training Center, where you are about to embark on your first launch. Before you board the four-person rocket capsule, you're assigned to a position: commander, navigator, pilot, or engineer. And at this point you're warned several times about the intensity of the ride and the risks for people with health concerns. Pregnant women and anyone with heart, back, neck, balance, blood-pressure, or motion-sickness problems shouldn't ride.
Many people exit this ride feeling nauseated and disoriented from the high-speed spinning, which is what makes you feel as if you're rocketing into space. These effects are often cumulative, so stick with one go round.
For those who can handle the intense spinning, the sensation of liftoff is a turbulent, heart-pounding experience that flattens you against your seat. Once you break into outer space, you'll even feel weightless. After landing, you exit your capsule into the Advanced Training Lab, where you can play some very entertaining space-related games.
For people with disabilities: This ride requires a transfer from wheelchair to seat. Service animals aren't permitted to board. Video-captioning devices can be used on the ride; assisted-listening devices can be used in the post-show Training Lab. Arrive before 10 am or use Fastpass during peak season. Don't ride on a full stomach.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $59-$69 -- Orlando Resort w/Shuttle & Kids Eat Free, 50% Off Bookit.com
- $1079 & up -- Florida: Club Med Sandpiper Bay, Save 40% Club Med Sandpiper Bay
- $649 & up -- Weeklong Cruise to Bahamas in Summer Royal Caribbean
- $41 & up -- Rent a Mercedes in Florida, 10% Off Sixt Rent a Car
- $80-$108 -- Castle-Themed Resort near Universal, 40% Off — $80-$108 Holiday Inn Resort Orlando - The Castle
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
We (me, hub and 7 year old son) spent a week in the Florida Keys mid-March month and loved it! Read more
My Lady Wife and I recently visited Boca.
Here is a review of the restaurants we visited.
Sky Asian Fusion – Holiday Inn Conference Ctr, Ocal, FL
A very nice, Asian-inspired room Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason. ... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more