- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kilimanjaro Safaris Review
A giant Imagineered baobab tree is the starting point for this adventure into the upcountry. Although re-creating an African safari in the United States isn't a new idea, this safari takes great pains to create an authentic environment, allowing you to observe rhinos, hippos, antelopes, wildebeests, giraffes, cheetahs, elephants, lions, and the like. There are illustrated game-spotting guides above the seats in the open-air safari vehicles, and as you lurch and bump over some 100 acres of savanna, forest, rivers, and rocky hills, you'll see most of these animals—sometimes so close you feel that you could reach out and touch them. It's easy to suspend disbelief here because the landscape is so effectively modeled and replenished by Disney horticulturists.
Recent savanna additions include a new zebra habitat and a watering hole for many species. Keep an eye out for animal babies; the park's breeding programs have been extremely successful, with new additions including elephants, white and black rhinos, okapi, giraffes, and several gorillas.
Parents should hang on tightly to their small tykes. The ride is very bumpy and should be avoided by expectant guests or those with heart, back, or neck problems. For people with disabilities: Wheelchair accessible, but ECV users must transfer to standard wheelchairs. Equipped for assisted-listening and video-captioning devices. Guests with service animals should check with a host for boarding information. During the hottest months, come first thing in the morning, using Fastpass if necessary. Otherwise come at day's end when it cools down a bit.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $65-$89 -- Orlando Hotel by Disney w/Shuttle & Kids Eat Free BookIt.com
- $119-$149 -- Orlando: Condo near Disney w/Private Hot Tub BookIt.com
- $10 per day & up -- Car Rentals in Florida, up to 10% Off Sixt Rent a Car
- $144-$175 -- Orlando 4-Diamond Resort near Disney, 45% Off — $144-$175 Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
- $19.99 & up -- Rent a Chevrolet Cruze in Orlando — $20 Sixt Rent a Car
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
We (me, hub and 7 year old son) spent a week in the Florida Keys mid-March month and loved it! Read more
If anyone is looking to spend time at any beach, you must come and check out all the great beach's here in Florida. Read more
· News & Features
Niagara Falls is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold, whether you're ogling it from the Canada side,... Read more
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more