- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Disney's Hollywood StudiosView Map
The first thing you notice when you pass through the Hollywood Studios turnstiles is the laid-back California attitude. Palm-lined Hollywood Boulevard oozes glamour—but in a casual way that makes you feel as if you belong, even without your slinky Michael Kors jersey and Jimmy Choos.
When the park opened in May 1989 as Disney-MGM Studios, officials welcomed the first guests and VIPs to "the Hollywood that never was and always will be." Attending the lavish, red-carpet affair were Tinseltown icons such as Bette Midler and Warren Beatty. Disney explains the recent name change to Hollywood Studios as a way to "better reflect not only the Golden Age of Tinseltown, but all that today's Hollywood has to offer in movies, music, theater, and television."
Unlike the first movie theme park—Universal Studios in California—Hollywood Studios combined Disney detail with MGM's motion-picture legacy and Walt Disney's own animated classics. Imagineers built the park with real film and television production in mind, and, during its first decade, the Studios welcomed films like Ernest Saves Christmas and TV shows like Wheel of Fortune to its soundstages.
The Animation Studios, too, were busy. Stories like Aladdin and Lilo & Stitch came to life on the easels and computers of Disney's Florida animators. Though production has mostly halted at the park, you can enjoy plenty of attractions that showcase how filmmakers practice their craft. Want to see how special effects are created? Visit the Backstage Studio Tour. If you're wowed by action-film stunts, you can learn the tricks of the trade at the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! or the Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show. No trip to the Studios would be complete without a tour of The Magic of Disney Animation, where you can sit down and draw a character like Mickey or Donald.
In a savvy effort to grab a big piece of the pop-culture pie, in late 2008 Disney opened its own American Idol attraction, where performers earn audience votes to compete in an end-of-day contest for a spot in the TV show's regional audition process. Imagineers continue to "bring it" with big-hit attractions like Toy Story Midway Mania! and new twists on old favorites like the 3-D debut of the Star Tours simulator ride.
Disney's Hollywood Studios at a Glance
Experience Disney's Hollywood Studios
- The American Idol Experience
- Beauty and the Beast—Live on Stage
- Disney Junior—Live on Stage!
- Great Movie Ride
- Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
- Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
- The Magic of Disney Animation
Elsewhere in Walt Disney World Orlando
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79 -- Orlando 1-Bedroom Suite near Disney, 20% Off Star Island Resort & Club
- $99 -- Orlando: Family Friendly 1-BR Condo near Theme Parks Wyndham Cypress Palms
- $1749 -- Balcony: Weeklong Cruise to Bahamas in Summer Royal Caribbean
- $19.99 & up -- Rent a Hyundai Elantra in Orlando Sixt Rent a Car
- $71-$111 -- Family Resort inside Disney w/Shuttles, 60% Off — $71-$111 BookIt.com