- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Disney's Animal KingdomView Map
If you're thinking, "Oh, it's just another zoo, let's skip it," think again. Walt Disney World's fourth theme park, opened in 1998, takes its inspiration from humankind's enduring love for animals and pulls out all the stops. Your day will be packed with unusual animal encounters, enchanting entertainment, and themed rides that'll leave you breathless.
A large chunk of the park is devoted to animal habitats, especially the forest and savanna of Africa's Kilimanjaro Safaris. Towering acacia trees and tall grasses sweep across the land where zebras, giraffes, and wildebeests roam. A lion kopje, warthog burrows, and elephant watering hole provide ample space for inhabitants.
About 94 acres contain foliage like hibiscus and mulberry, perfect for antelope and many other species. The largest groups of Nile hippos and African elephants in North America live along the winding waterway that leads to the savanna. The generously landscaped Pangani Forest Exploration Trail provides roaming grounds for troops of gorillas and authentic habitats for meerkats, birds, fish, and other creatures.
Beyond the park's Africa territory, similar large spaces are set aside for the homes of Asian animals like tigers and Komodo dragons, as well as for creatures like Galápagos tortoises and a giant anteater.
Disney Imagineers didn't forget to include their trademark thrills, from the Kali River Rapids ride in Asia to the fast-paced DINOSAUR journey in Dinoland U.S.A. Expedition Everest, the park's biggest thrill attraction, is a "runaway" train ride on a faux rugged mountain complete with icy ledges, dark caves, and a yeti legend.
The only downside to the Animal Kingdom layout is that walking paths and spaces can get very crowded and hot in the warmest months. Your best bet is to arrive very early and see the animals first before the heat makes them (and you) woozy.
Just before the park opens, Minnie Mouse, Pluto, and Goofy arrive at the iconic Tree of Life in a safari vehicle to welcome the first guests into the heart of the park. Let the adventure begin!
Disney's Animal Kingdom at a Glance
Experience Disney's Animal Kingdom
- Affection Section
- Conservation Station
- Expedition Everest
- Festival of the Lion King
- Finding Nemo-The Musical
- Flights of Wonder
- Fossil Fun Games
Elsewhere in Walt Disney World Orlando
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $65-$89 -- Orlando Hotel by Disney w/Shuttle & Kids Eat Free BookIt.com
- $119-$149 -- Orlando: Condo near Disney w/Private Hot Tub BookIt.com
- $10 per day & up -- Car Rentals in Florida, up to 10% Off Sixt Rent a Car
- $144-$175 -- Orlando 4-Diamond Resort near Disney, 45% Off — $144-$175 Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
- $19.99 & up -- Rent a Chevrolet Cruze in Orlando — $20 Sixt Rent a Car