Ferries are few and far between in Florida, but if you would like to avoid traffic to the Keys and make the trip less of a hassle, Key West Express ferries people from Fort Myers Beach on a daily basis (and Marco Island in season) to the historic seaport in Key West, which is within walking distance of all major attractions as well as many hotels. The trip, just under four hours, is much cheaper than airfare and doesn't require months-in-advance booking.
Key West Express (888/539-2628. www.keywestexpress.us.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
- $79-$89 -- Chic South Beach Hotel w/Cocktails, 45% Off Clinton Hotel
- $79 -- Orlando 1-Bedroom Suite near Disney, 20% Off Star Island Resort & Club
- $419 & up -- Last Minute: 4-Night Bahamas & Key West Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $19.99 & up -- Rent a Hyundai Elantra in Orlando Sixt Rent a Car