A no-frills escape, this lodge, named for a local game fish, was built in 1926 on a sweep of green lawn with magnificent views out to sea. Rooms in the original building are small and simple; those in the newer 1980 building and the two efficiency cottages, however, offer a bit more modern ambiance. Each room has its own personality; the best have balconies overlooking the grounds and bay. The sunny restaurant dishes up creative surprises. It's in the fishing village of
Pineland, on the edge of Pine Island Sound, settled in the 16th century by Calusa Indians and near an archaeological site and trail.