- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's South Florida 2014
Miccosukee Indian Village and Gift Shop
Miccosukee Indian Village and Gift Shop Review
Showcasing the skills and lifestyle of the Miccosukee Tribe of Florida, this cultural center offers crafts demonstrations and insight into the interaction between alligators and the American Indians. Narrated 30-minute airboat rides take you into the wilderness where natives hid after the Seminole Wars and Indian Removal Act of the mid-1800s. In modern times, many of the Miccosukee have relocated to this village along Tamiami Trail, but most still maintain their hammock farming and hunting camps. The village museum shows a film and displays chickee structures and artifacts. Guided tours run throughout the day, and a gift shop stocks dolls, apparel, silver jewelry, beadwork, and other handcrafts. The Miccosukee Everglades Music and Craft Festival falls on a July weekend, and the 10-day Miccosukee Indian Arts Festival is in late December.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We just returned from our 2 week trip to the south. Read more
a few good restaurants...don't want the glitz and noise of South Beach. Was leaning towards Palm Beach or ...either coast is fine Read more