Just as you wouldn't expect to arrive at Disney and see nothing but Mickey Mouse, don't expect to arrive at SeaWorld and see only Shamu. Only a few steps into the park you'll find baby dolphins and their mothers, a pool filled with stingrays, colorful flamingos, rescued sea turtles, rescued pelicans, and even resuced manatees. SeaWorld's objective is to educate as well as entertain.
You'll see how lumbering manatees live and what they look like up close; watch otters and seals perform slapstick routines based on their natural behaviors; learn about the lives of giant tortoises and sea turtles; and be absolutely amazed at the scope of marine life celebrated throughout the park.
Then there are the attractions, each and every one designed not only to showcase the marine world but also to demonstrate ways in which humans can protect the earth's waters and wildlife. And, because there are more exhibits and shows than rides, the difference between SeaWorld and other theme parks is that you can go at your own pace, without that hurry-up-and-wait feeling. It's also worth noting that because shows, attractions, and exhibits are based primarily on nature and animals, designers have created a natural layout as well, with winding lanes and plenty of places to relax by the waterfront or beside bouquets of flowers. There's never a nagging urge to race through anything; indeed, the entire park encourages you to slow down and move at a casual pace.
SeaWorld at a Glance
- A'Lure, the Call of the Ocean (Nautilus Theater)
- Behind the Scenes Tour
- Beluga Interaction Program
- Blue Horizons (Whale & Dolphin Theater)
- Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island (Sea Lion & Otter Stadium)
- Dolphin Cove
- Dolphin Nursery
- Dolphins Up Close
- Journey to Atlantis
- Marine Mammal Keeper Experience
- One Ocean (Shamu Stadium)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe