- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At one time Sanford was the heart of Central Florida—a vital vacation spot and transportation hub on the St. Johns River. But that was before vacationers focused on Orlando and Walt Disney World. In an attempt to turn things around, Sanford has been slowly rebuilding its picturesque downtown overlooking Lake Monroe and steadily increasing the size of its airport (Orlando–Sanford International), which is favored by flights from the United Kingdom. But the main reason most folks make the 30-mile, traffic-choked haul northeast of Downtown Orlando (about 45 minutes) is Flea World, which claims to be America's largest flea market under one roof. The town also has the Orlando area's only traditional zoo.
Sanford at a Glance
Elsewhere in Orlando
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's