- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Although Kissimmee is primarily known as the gateway to Disney (technically, the park is in both Osceola and Orange counties), its non-WDW attractions just might tickle your fancy. They range from throwbacks to old-time Florida or to dinner shows for you and 2,000 of your closest friends. Orlando used to be prime cattle country, and the best sampling of what life was like is here during the Silver Springs Rodeo in February and October.
With at least 100,000 acres of freshwater lakes, the Kissimmee area brings anglers and boaters to national fishing tournaments and speedboat races. A 50-mi-long series of lakes, the Kissimmee Waterway, connects Lake Tohopekaliga—a Native American name that means "Sleeping Tiger"; locals call it Lake Toho—with huge Lake Ocheechobee in south Florida, and, from there, to both the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico.
Kissimmee at a Glance
Contacts & Resources
Elsewhere in Orlando
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $71-$111 -- Family Resort inside Disney w/Shuttles, 60% Off BookIt.com
- $69-$99 -- Orlando Resort w/Upgrade to 3-BR Villa, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $649 & up -- Weeklong Cruise to Bahamas in Summer Royal Caribbean
- $8.46 & up -- Car Rentals across Florida CarRentals.com
- $1079 & up -- Florida: Club Med Sandpiper Bay, Save 40% — $1,079 Club Med Sandpiper Bay