This historical building has been a hospital, a courthouse, a customs house, a post office, and, during the American Revolution, the home of the British governors. And it was from here, in 1821, that the Spanish governor ceded control of East Florida to the United States to conclude 256 years of colonial control. After a major renovation, the building reopened in Fall 2013 with a new exhibit, "First Colony: Our Spanish Origins." The exhibit presents the story of the founding
of St. Augustine and focuses on the Hispanic aspect of American history. A shop on-site sells history-related souvenirs and a wide selection of books.