- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Perhaps because the Intracoastal Waterway isn't all that wide where it separates the mainland from the beaches, people here aren't likely to think of themselves as "islanders." But they are, indeed, living on a barrier island, functioning with its own rhythms and led by its own elected officials. And, although there's only one island, there are four beaches/beach communities, each with its own mayor and city officials, tax base, and local legislation. They are, from north to south, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Jacksonville Beach, and Ponte Vedra Beach. Technically, Ponte Vedra, which is home to the PGA Tour, is just across the border between Duval County and St. Johns County, but the four communities are all considered "Jacksonville's beaches."
Oceanfront properties here can be worth millions, but a few blocks from the beach, things become more affordable. That means kids grow up and go to school together, and then stick around to live in and govern the towns together. Instead of pouring money into attractions designed to rake in tourism dollars, locals are likely to concentrate on stodgy subjects like good schools and parks. Because of this, some visitors might find area beaches to be a little calmer and quieter than they expected.
But there's a real sense of community—that and a laid-back pace. You might want to embrace it all. In fact, many vacationers like the easy pace so much that they decide to make the area their permanent home.
Jacksonville Beaches at a Glance
- Adventure Landing and Shipwreck Island Water Park
- Atlantic Beach
- Beaches Historical Museum
- J. Johnson Gallery
- Al's Pizza
- Augustine Grille
- Ellen's Kitchen
- European Street Café
- The Fish Company Restaurant and Oyster Bar
Elsewhere in Northeast Coast
- Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach
- Cape Canaveral
- Cocoa Beach
- Daytona Beach
- Fort George Island
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's