Sights & Attractions in Miami
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
If you had arrived here 50 years ago with a guidebook in hand, chances are you'd be thumbing through listings looking for alligator wrestlers and you-pick strawberry fields or citrus groves. Things have changed. While Disney sidetracked families in Orlando, Miami was developing a unique culture and attitude that's equal parts beach town/big business, Latino/Caribbean meets European/American—all of which fuels a great art and food scene, as well as exuberant nightlife and myriad festivals.
To find your way around Greater Miami, learn how the numbering system works (or better yet, use a GPS). Miami is laid out on a grid with four quadrants—northeast, northwest, southeast, and southwest—that meet at Miami Avenue and Flagler Street. Miami Avenue separates east from west, and Flagler Street separates north from south. Avenues and courts run north-south; streets, terraces, and ways run east-west. Roads run diagonally, northwest-southeast. But other districts—Miami Beach, Coral Gables, and Hialeah—may or may not follow this system, and along the curve of Biscayne Bay the symmetrical grid shifts diagonally. It's best to buy a detailed map, stick to the major roads, and ask directions early and often. However, make sure you're in a safe neighborhood or public place when you seek guidance; cabdrivers and cops are good resources.
Browse Miami Sights
- Architectural Sites
- Arts / Performance Venues
- Bridges / Tunnels
- Gardens / Arboretums
- Historic Districts / Sites
- Houses / Mansions
- Information Centers
- Memorials / Monuments
- Museums / Galleries
- Neighborhoods / Streets
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $149 -- FL Keys Beach Resort & Marina w/Parking, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $159 & up -- Miami Beach Hotel on Ocean Drive, 50% Off Winter Haven, Autograph Collection
- $1099 & up -- Weeklong Caribbean Cruise in Summer Royal Caribbean
- $11 & up -- Car Rentals in Miami, up to 10% Off Sixt Rent a Car
- $79-$99 -- South Beach Boutique Hotel w/Wi-Fi, Save 50% — $79-$99 BookIt.com