- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Crandon Park Beach
Crandon Park Beach Review
This relaxing oasis in northern Key Biscayne is dotted with palm trees, which provide a respite from the steamy sun until it's time to take a dip in the blue waters. Families really enjoy the beaches here—the sand is soft, there are no rip tides, there's a great view of the Atlantic, and parking is both inexpensive and plentiful. However, on weekends, be prepared for a long hike from your car to the beach. There are bathrooms, outdoor showers, plenty of picnic tables, concession stands, and golf and tennis facilities. The family-friendly park offers abundant options for kids who find it challenging to simply sit and build sand castles. Crandon Gardens at Crandon Park was once the site of a zoo. There are swans, waterfowl, and dozens of huge iguanas running loose. Nearby you'll find a restored carousel (it's open weekends and major holidays 10-5, until 6 in summer, and you get three rides for $1), an old-fashioned outdoor roller rink, a dolphin-shape spray fountain, and a playground. Amenities: food and drink; lifeguards; parking (fee); showers; toilets. Best for: swimming; walking.
Marjory Stoneman Douglas Biscayne Nature Center. At the north end of the beach is the free Marjory Stoneman Douglas Biscayne Nature Center, where you can explore sea-grass beds on a tour with a naturalist; see red, black, and white mangroves; and hike along the beach and hammock in the Bear Cut Preserve. The park also sponsors hikes and tours. 305/361-6767. www.biscaynenaturecenter.org. Daily 10-4.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $181 & up -- Miami: 4-Star Ocean Drive Hotel w/Rebate BookIt.com
- $95 -- Miami Beach Oceanfront Hotel, Reg. $243 BookIt.com
- $10 per day & up -- Car Rentals in Florida, up to 10% Off Sixt Rent a Car
- $179-$239 -- 4-Star Fort Lauderdale-Area Resort, Save $120 — $179-$239 The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa
- $19.99 -- Rent a Chevrolet Cruze in Miami — $20 Sixt Rent a Car
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
We (me, hub and 7 year old son) spent a week in the Florida Keys mid-March month and loved it! Read more
If anyone is looking to spend time at any beach, you must come and check out all the great beach's here in Florida. Read more
· News & Features
Whether you go for the sun-drenched fun or the fantastic food, Miami is calling.... Read more
Whether you go for the sun-drenched beaches or the fantastic Art Deco design, you'll want to stay in South... Read more
Think you've done Miami?... Read more