- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Lincoln Road Mall
Lincoln Road Mall Review
This open-air pedestrian mall flaunts some of Miami's best people-watching. The eclectic interiors of myriad fabulous restaurants, colorful boutiques, art galleries, lounges, and cafés are often upstaged by the bustling outdoor scene. It's here among the prolific alfresco dining enclaves that you can pass the hours easily beholding the beautiful people. Indeed, outdoor restaurant and café seating take center stage along this wide pedestrian road adorned with towering date palms, linear pools, and colorful broken-tile mosaics. Some of the shops on Lincoln Road are owner-operated boutiques carrying a smart variety of clothing, furnishings, jewelry, and decorative elements. You'll also find typical upscale chain stores—H & M, Banana Republic, and so on. Lincoln Road is fun, lively, and friendly for people-old, young, gay, and straight—and their dogs.
Two landmarks worth checking out at the eastern end of Lincoln Road are the massive 1940s keystone building at 420 Lincoln Road, which has a 1945 Leo Birchanky mural in the lobby, and the 1921 Mission-style Miami Beach Community Church, at Drexel Avenue. The Lincoln Theatre (No. 541-545), at Pennsylvania Avenue, is a classical four-story art deco gem with friezes. At Euclid Avenue there's a monument to Morris Lapidus, the brains behind Lincoln Road Mall, who in his 90s watched the renaissance of his whimsical South Beach creation. At Lenox Avenue, a black-and-white art deco movie house with a Mediterranean barrel-tile roof is now the Colony Theater (1040 Lincoln Rd.), where live theater and experimental films are presented.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $159 & up -- Miami Beach Hotel on Ocean Drive, 50% Off Winter Haven, Autograph Collection
- $79-$99 -- South Beach Boutique Hotel w/Wi-Fi, Save 50% BookIt.com
- $1099 & up -- Weeklong Caribbean Cruise in Summer Royal Caribbean
- $11 & up -- Car Rentals in Miami, up to 10% Off Sixt Rent a Car
- $136 & up -- 4-Star South Beach Hotel w/Wi-Fi, Reg. $279 — $136 BookIt.com
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
We (me, hub and 7 year old son) spent a week in the Florida Keys mid-March month and loved it! Read more
I was told by a tour agent not to go to Florida September9-20 as it's hurricane and storm season. Read more
· News & Features
Whether you go for the sun-drenched fun or the fantastic food, Miami is calling.... Read more
Whether you go for the sun-drenched beaches or the fantastic Art Deco design, you'll want to stay in South... Read more
Think you've done Miami?... Read more