- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Great Experiences in Upper Northwest
House museums: The Hillwood Estate, Museum and Gardens showcases cereal heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post's collection of Imperial Russian art and Fabergé eggs, and 12 gorgeous acres of formal French and Japanese gardens. Chagalls, Picassos, and Monets inside contrast with the architecture at the modernist Kreeger Museum.
National Zoo: Visit the giant pandas, elephants, lions, and other members of the animal kingdom while you enjoy a stroll outdoors.
Shopping in Friendship Heights: The city's most glamorous shopping lines Wisconsin Avenue at the Maryland border. Want to actually buy something? Plenty of stores cater to shoppers on a budget, too.
U.S. Naval Observatory: View the heavens through one of the world's most powerful telescopes.
Washington National Cathedral: Look for the Darth Vader gargoyle on the soaring towers of this cathedral, then relax among the rosebushes in the Bishop's Garden. Concerts are held here, too.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $169 & up -- 4.5-Star Loews Madison Hotel D.C., Save 40% Expedia
- $103 -- 4-Star Washington, D.C.-Area Hotel, 50% Off The Westin Alexandria
- $18 & up -- Baltimore: Admission to 9 Museums, up to 25% Off Featured Destination: Baltimore
- $109 & up -- Baltimore Hotel Deals into Summer, 65% Off — $109 Featured Destination: Baltimore
- Free -- Zip Around Baltimore: 4 Popular Routes — $0 Charm City Circulator