- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
From the free Smithsonian museums on the Mall to the cuddly pandas at the National Zoo, D.C. is a very family-friendly town. Major convention hotels don't always cater to families, so we recommend looking Downtown, in Foggy Bottom, or in Upper Northwest; in the latter, many hotels offer special panda packages for the zoo-bound. Also, the closer your hotel is to a Metro stop, the quicker you can get on the sightseeing trail. The Metro itself often ranks as a favorite attraction among the under-12 set. Consider a stay at an all-suites hotel. This will allow you to spread out and, if you prepare your meals in a kitchenette, to keep costs down. It gives the grown-ups the option of staying up past bedtime, too.
A number of well-known chains, including Embassy Suites, Fairmont, Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, and St. Regis also offer special programs or packages for kids and usually have babysitting services. Holiday Inns allow kids (typically under 12) to eat free in their restaurants and several of the Kimpton properties offer family-friendly rooms complete with bunk beds and child-size bathrobes.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe