Shopping in Washington, D.C.
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Washington, D.C. Shopping
Despite the fact that going to the "the Mall" in D.C. doesn't mean you're going shopping, Washington offers fabulous stores that sell serious or silly souvenirs, designer fashions, recycled and green goods, books about almost everything, and handicrafts. Even if you are headed to the mall, our nation's Mall, that is, you'll discover that plenty of collections housed along the famous greensward, such as the Smithsonian museums and the National Gallery of Art, sell interesting keepsakes in their gift shops.
Beyond the Mall, smaller one-of-a-kind shops, designer boutiques, and interesting specialty collections add to Washington's shopping scene alongside stores that have been part of the landscape for generations. Weekdays, Downtown street vendors add to the mix by offering funky jewelry; brightly patterned ties; buyer-beware watches; sunglasses; and African-inspired clothing, accessories, and art. Discriminating shoppers will find satisfaction at upscale malls on the city's outskirts. Of course, T-shirts and Capitol City souvenirs, with the city's iconic images on everything from candy bars to magnets, are in plentiful supply.
Browse Washington, D.C. Shopping
- Food / Candy
- Gifts / Souvenirs
- Household Items / Furniture
- Jewelry / Accessories
- Outdoor / Flea / Green Markets
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's