- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Washington, D.C. 2014
Chef Frank Ruta opened this French- and Italian-influenced local legend after working in the White House kitchens under both GOP and Democratic administrations. Among his can't-miss presentations are chestnut ravioli with shiitake mushrooms, roasted fluke with chestnut vinegar, and venison with quince. Comforting desserts such as a tangy German apple cake or a coffee-caramel "dome" are a perfect match for the earthy cooking. Four- or six-course tasting menus are available. Reservations are not accepted for the equally fabulous café, where the inexpensive menu includes a cheeseburger with truffles, foie-gras terrine, and an extravagant fritto misto platter of vegetables, halibut, and paper-thin fried lemon slices.
- Address: 3529 Connecticut Ave. NW, Cleveland Park, Washington, DC 20008 | Map It
- Phone: 202/537–9250
- Website: www.palenarestaurant.com
- Metro Cleveland Park.
- Location: Upper Northwest
- Reservations essential.
- Restaurant closed Sun. and Mon. No lunch (except in café, weekend brunch only).
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
President Lincoln and his family spent about 4 months each year at a summer cottage (well, 34 rooms) three miles north of the swampy and swamped White House of the 1860s. Read more
We went on an AP US History class trip. Read more
What are your favorite restaurants in DC? Read more
· News & Features
A getaway over Martin Luther King, Jr., weekend (January 17–20, 2014) proposes the perfect remedy ... Read more
From buzzy emerging neighborhoods to a burgeoning culinary scene, here are five reasons to visit Washington,... Read more
Washington, D.C., is a city of trees, with some 300 tree species spread out in its vicinity. Each fall,... Read more