- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
National Museum of Crime and Punishment
National Museum of Crime and Punishment Review
America's history of crime and the judicial system are explored in exhibits that demonstrate tactics used by law enforcement, forensic scientists, crime scene investigators, and the consequences for commiting a crime. Exhibits range from a medieval torture chamber to the getaway car used by bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde. With more than 100 interactives, you can put your hands in pillory stocks, take a lie detector test, enter a jail cell, and experience a simulated crime-scene investigation. From pirates, witches, and Wild West outlaws, to white-collar criminals, serial killers, and computer hackers, many displays involve reading, are at times grim, and better for older children. Created in partnership with America's Most Wanted host John Walsh, the lower level of the museum includes a behind-the-scenes look at the program.
The museum recommends purchasing advance tickets on the website: tickets are spaced hourly with a specific date and time.
- Address: 575 7th St. NW, Downtown, Washington, DC, 20004 | Map It
- Phone: 202/621-5550
- Cost: $17.95 online, $19.95 box office walk up
- Hours: Sept. 5--May 20, Sun.--Thurs. 10--7, Fri. and Sat. 10--8; May 21--Sept. 4, Mon.--Thurs. 9--7, Fri. and Sat. 9--8, Sun. 10--7
- Website: www.crimemuseum.org
- Metro Gallery Pl./Chinatown.
- Location: Washington, D.C.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $169 & up -- 4.5-Star Loews Madison Hotel D.C., Save 40% Expedia
- $103 -- 4-Star Washington, D.C.-Area Hotel, 50% Off The Westin Alexandria
- $18 & up -- Baltimore: Admission to 9 Museums, up to 25% Off Featured Destination: Baltimore
- $109 & up -- Baltimore Hotel Deals into Summer, 65% Off — $109 Featured Destination: Baltimore
- Free -- Zip Around Baltimore: 4 Popular Routes — $0 Charm City Circulator
Thanks in advance to all the people here who helped in the planning of this - both last year and this year! Read more
Thursday, April 11 my husband, 5 and 8 year old children and I traveled to Washington D.C. for usual sight-seeing and cherry blossoms. We used taxis often which in the planning stage worried me because Read more
Aloha to all of you,
as we - meaning my better half and I (both in our late twenties) - are planning a four week trip to the east coast of the US, I'd love to hear some suggestions regarding our itinerary. Read more
· News & Features
Psst...want to know where to really find the best eats in (and around) DC? We've got the goods for you... Read more
From a hidden drum circle in Washington DC to awesome sushi in Chicago's Ukrainian neighborhood, we've... Read more
Come springtime, Washington DC's draw is its gorgeous cherry blossoms.... Read more