Founded in 1987, this is the only major museum in the world solely dedicated to recognizing women's creative contributions. The Museum brings to light remarkable women artists of the past, while promoting the best women artists working today. In addition to traveling exhibitions, the museum holds a collection of 4,500 artworks including paintings, drawings, sculpture, prints, and photographs by Frida Kahlo, Camille Claudel, Mary Cassatt, Alma Thomas, Judy Chicago, Magdalena
Abakanowicz, Nan Goldin, Louise Dahl-Wolfe, Helen Frankenthaler, and Élisabeth Vigée-Lebrun. The museum oversees the New York Avenue Sculpture Project, the first outdoor sculpture corridor in Washington, featuring changing installations by women artists. The beautifully restored 1907 Renaissance Revival building was designed by Waddy B. Wood.