Basketball in Washington, D.C.
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Georgetown University Hoyas. Of the Division I men's college basketball teams in the area, the most prominent is the Georgetown University Hoyas, former NCAA national champions. The Hoyas became a national basketball powerhouse under their coach John Thompson III, and remain perennial contenders in the national tourney. The Hoyas play home games at the Verizon Center downtown. Verizon Center, 601 F St. NW, Downtown, Washington, DC, 20004. 202/687–4692. guhoyas.com. Gallery Pl./Chinatown.
Washington Mystics. The WNBA's Washington Mystics play at the Verizon Center in Downtown Washington. The Mystics perennially lead the WNBA in attendance, despite a losing record. The games are loud, boisterous events. You can buy tickets at the Verizon Center box office or through Ticketmaster. The women's season runs from late May to August. Verizon Center, 6th and F Sts., Downtown, Washington, DC, 20004. 202/432–7328. www.wnba.com/mystics. $17–$125. Gallery Pl./Chinatown.
Washington Wizards. The NBA's Washington Wizards play from October to April at the Verizon Center and feature rising star John Wall. Buy tickets from the Verizon Center box office or from Ticketmaster. 6th and F Sts., Downtown, Washington, DC, 20004. 202/432–7328. www.nba.com/wizards. $16 (upper level)–$2,500 courtside. Gallery Pl./Chinatown.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's