Where the Pros Play in Washington, D.C.
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Where the Pros Play
If you're going to a pro sports event, chances are you'll be headed to one of four venues.
Verizon Center. This 20,000-seat multipurpose sports and entertainment venue averages more than 200 events each year and has helped to turn the surrounding area into the most vibrant part of Downtown. The Acela Club restaurant is accompanied by a wide range of vendors selling everything including doughnuts, kosher and vegan specialties, craft beers, and Chesapeake Bay crab cakes. The Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro Station is directly below the Center, making it extremely convenient for fans to travel here and back. Verizon hosts many sporting events, including Washington Capitals hockey; Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics and Georgetown Hoyas basketball; concerts with chart-topping artists; and figure-skating events. 601 F St. NW, between 6th and 7th Sts., Downtown, Washington, DC, 20004. 202/628–3200. www.verizoncenter.com. Gallery Place/Chinatown.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe