Boating and Sailing in Washington, D.C.
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Boating and Sailing
The Chesapeake Bay is one of the great sailing basins of the world. For scenic and historical sightseeing, take a day trip to Annapolis, Maryland, the home of the U.S. Naval Academy. The popularity of boating and the many boating businesses in Annapolis make it one of the best civilian sailing centers on the East Coast.
Potomac River. Canoeing, sailing, and powerboating are popular in the Washington, D.C. area. Several places rent boats along the Potomac River north and south of the city. You can dip your paddle just about anywhere along the river—go canoeing in the C&O Canal, sailing in the widening river south of Alexandria, or even kayaking in the raging rapids at Great Falls, a 30-minute drive from the capital. Washington, DC.
The Boathouse at Fletcher's Cove. The Boathouse at Fletcher's Cove, just north of Georgetown, rents 17-foot rowboats for $12 per hour and $22 per day. Canoes are available for rent at $12 per hour and $24 per day. Single kayaks are $10 per hour and $28 per day, while double kayaks are $17 per hour and $40 per day. 4940 Canal Rd., at Reservoir Rd., Georgetown, Washington, DC, 20007. 202/244-0461. www.fletcherscove.com.
Thompson's Boat Center. Thompson's Boat Center is near Georgetown and Theodore Roosevelt Island. The center rents canoes for $12 per hour and $24 per day. Single kayaks are $10 per hour and $28 per day, and double kayaks are $17 per hour and $40 per day. Rowing sculls are also available, but you must demonstrate prior experience and a suitably high skill level. Note: Thompson closes from Halloween through early March, based on the water's temperature. 2900 Virginia Ave. NW, Foggy Bottom, Washington, DC, 20037. 202/333-4861 or 202/333-9543. www.thompsonboatcenter.com. Foggy Bottom/GWU.
Tidal Basin Boathouse. The Tidal Basin Boathouse, in front of the Jefferson Memorial, rents paddleboats beginning in mid-March and usually ending in October. The entrance is on the east side of the Tidal Basin. You can rent two-passenger boats at $12 per hour and four-passenger boats at $19 per hour. 1501 Maine Ave. SW, The Mall, Washington, DC, 20024. 202/479-2426. Farragut W.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $169 & up -- 4.5-Star Loews Madison Hotel D.C., Save 40% Expedia
- $103 -- 4-Star Washington, D.C.-Area Hotel, 50% Off The Westin Alexandria
- $18 & up -- Baltimore: Admission to 9 Museums, up to 25% Off Featured Destination: Baltimore
- $109 & up -- Baltimore Hotel Deals into Summer, 65% Off — $109 Featured Destination: Baltimore
- Free -- Zip Around Baltimore: 4 Popular Routes — $0 Charm City Circulator