Basketball in Washington, D.C.
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Georgetown University Hoyas. Of the Division I men's college basketball teams in the area, the most prominent are the Georgetown University Hoyas, former NCAA national champions. The Hoyas became a national basketball powerhouse under their coach John Thompson III, and remain perennial contenders in the national tourney. The Hoyas often play at the Verizon Center. Washington, DC. guhoyas.com.
Washington Mystics. The WNBA's Washington Mystics play at the Verizon Center in Downtown Washington. The Mystics perennially lead the WNBA in attendance, despite a losing record. The games are loud, boisterous events. Ticket prices range from $17 to $70, with courtside tickets for $125. You can buy tickets at the Verizon Center box office or through Ticketmaster. The women's basketball season runs from late May to August. 6th and F Sts., Downtown, Washington, DC, 20004. 202/432-7328. www.wnba.com/mystics. Gallery Pl./Chinatown.
Washington Wizards. The NBA's Washington Wizards play from October to April at the Verizon Center and feature rising star John Wall. Tickets for individual games cost $40 to $850. The team also offers $16 seats in the upper level and courtside seats for a whopping $2,500. Buy tickets from the Verizon Center box office or from Ticketmaster. 6th and F Sts., Downtown, Washington, DC, 20004. 202/432-7328. www.nba.com/wizards. Gallery Pl./Chinatown.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $169 & up -- 4.5-Star Loews Madison Hotel D.C., Save 40% Expedia
- $79 -- Capitol Hill Hotel near Historic Sites, Reg. $452 BookIt.com
- $18 & up -- Baltimore: Admission to 9 Museums, up to 25% Off Featured Destination: Baltimore
- $87 & up -- D.C. Hotel w/Wi-Fi & Daily Breakfast, 60% Off — $87 BookIt.com
- Free -- Zip Around Baltimore: 4 Popular Routes — $0 Charm City Circulator