This pink board-and-batten Gothic-Revival house was built in 1846 as a summer home for New York silk merchant, publisher, and abolitionist Henry C. Bowen. The house and outbuildings (including a carriage house with a private bowling alley) hold a prominent place in history, having hosted four U.S. presidents (Ulysses S. Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes, William Henry Harrison, and William McKinley). The parterre garden includes 21 flower beds surrounded by 600 yards of boxwood hedge.
556 Rte. 169, Woodstock, Connecticut, 06281, United States