- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The crossroads village of New Preston, perched above a 40-foot waterfall on the Aspetuck River, has a little town center that's packed with antiques shops specializing in everything from 18th-century furnishings to contemporary art.
Lake Waramaug, north of New Preston on Route 45, is an area that reminds many of Austria and Switzerland. The lake is named for Chief Waramaug, one of the most revered figures in Connecticut's Native American history. A drive around the 8-mile perimeter of the lake takes you past beautiful inns—many of which serve delicious food—and homes.
Elsewhere in The Litchfield Hills
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's