- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Everything in Litchfield, the wealthiest and most noteworthy town in the Litchfield Hills, seems to exist on a larger scale than in neighboring burgs, especially the impressive Litchfield Green and the white Colonial and Greek-Revival homes that line the broad elm-shaded streets. Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of Uncle Tom's Cabin, and her brother, abolitionist preacher Henry Ward Beecher, were born and raised in Litchfield, and many famous Americans earned their law degrees at the Litchfield Law School. Today, lovely but exceptionally expensive boutiques and hot restaurants line the downtown.
Litchfield at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Litchfield Hills
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's