Behind a weathered stone wall in the historic district sits this three-story 1756 Colonial house with 5½ acres of broad lawns, formal gardens, and herbaceous borders. It's small and inviting, with fireplaces in the parlors and dining rooms and light and airy curtains in the multipaned windows. Most rooms have canopy or four-poster beds. Fireplaces and candlelight exude romance in the restaurant, where innovative American cuisine—with entrées like grilled hanger steak
with celery-root hash—is served with style.