- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Fort Trumbull State Park. At Fort Trumbull State Park on the Thames River, former location of the Naval Undersea Warfare Center, you'll find a 19th-century stonework-and-masonry fort, an extensive visitor center focusing on military history, a top-rate fishing pier, a boardwalk with fantastic views, and a picnic area for when you want to relax. 90 Walbach St., New London, CT, 06320. 860/444–7591.
Ocean Beach Park. This beach park has a ½-mi-long beach, an Olympic-size outdoor pool (with a waterslide), a miniature golf course, a video arcade, a boardwalk, and a picnic area. 98 Neptune Ave., New London, CT, 06320. 860/447–3031. www.ocean-beach-park.com/.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe