Hartford and the Connecticut River Valley Travel Guide
Fodor's New England
Westward expansion in the New World began along the meandering Connecticut River. Dutch explorer Adrian Block first explored the area in 1614, and in 1633 a trading post was set up in what is now Hartford. Within five years, throngs of restive Massachusetts Bay colonists had settled in this fertile valley. What followed was more than three centuries of shipbuilding, shad hauling, and river trading with ports as far away as the West Indies and the Mediterranean.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Hartford and the Connecticut River Valley restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Hartford and the Connecticut River Valley
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Book 3 Nts in Hartford this May Fr $165+/Nt Save with Expedia, $26/night less
- $130.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Hartford Hotwire
- $9.95 & up : Economy rentals in Hartford Hotwire
- Book 3-Star Homewood Suites Hartford Downtown Fr $355+/Nt — $355 Expedia
- $11.95 & up : Compact rentals in Hartford — $12 Hotwire
You head home for Thanksgiving every year—why not get the family together somewhere new?... Read more
Few places scream summer quite like The Place.... Read more
We're checking in on Yosemite Falls, keeping an eye out for Kayak's hot new IPO, and looking toward the... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Now58° F Overcast 72% Humidity May 24, 2013 at 2:51PM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hill-Crest "Museum", Farmington, CT.
This so-called "museum" is a must skip.
The house itself was not impressive, even if compared to other manors, mansions, estates, or homes built in that era. Interio Read more
My husband and I love Rowayton, CT... we are wondering if anyone from that cute town has any information about renting a house during the summer? We would like to bring our 3 children with us too. Whe Read more