- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Holy Cross Wilderness Area. At this wilderness region southwest of Beaver Creek, Eagle Lake is a great trail for hikers who want to test their bodies at altitude without overdoing it. The trail starts at 9,100 feet (just slightly higher than Beaver Creek's base at 7,400 feet) and contours through a glacial valley for almost 2.5 miles around Woods Lake to Eagle Lake at 10,000 feet. Plan on a five-hour round-trip journey. You can continue up the valley to explore more lakes if you're feeling fit. Holy Cross Ranger District, White River National Forest, Beaver Creek, CO, 81631. 970/827-5715. www.fs.fed.us/r2/whiteriver/recreation/wilderness/holycross.
Beaver Creek Hiking Center. The staff here arranges everything from easy walks to difficult hikes and mountain bike tours. If you're traveling with kids, ask about educational programs. Beaver Creek Village, Beaver Creek, CO, 81620. 970/754–5373.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe