- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Dollar, Thrifty, Hertz, and National car-rental agencies have counters at the Montrose Airport. Avis, Budget, Dollar, Hertz, and National all have counters at Gunnison-Crested Butte Regional Airport, Telluride Regional Airport, and Durango-La Plata Airport.
The main roads in the region are Route 135 between Crested Butte and Gunnison; U.S. 50 linking Poncha Springs, Gunnison, Montrose, and Delta; Route 149 between Gunnison, Lake City, and Creede; U.S. 550 from Montrose to Ridgway to Silverton to Durango; Route 62 and Route 145 linking Ridgway with Telluride, Dolores, and Cortez; and U.S. 160, which passes from Cortez to Durango to Pagosa Springs via the Mesa Verde National Park north entrance. With the exception of Kebler Pass, none of these roads officially closes for winter, but be prepared at any time during snowy months for portions of the roads to be closed or down to one lane for avalanche control or to clear ice or snowdrifts.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe