- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Although the resort and the town are distinct areas, you can travel between them via a 2.5-mi, over-the-mountain gondola, one of the most beautiful commutes in Colorado. The gondola makes a car unnecessary for local transportation; both the village and the town are pedestrian friendly. This innovative form of public transportation operates summer and winter, from early morning until late at night, and unless you have skis or a snowboard, the ride is free.
The free Galloping Goose shuttle loops around Telluride every 15 minutes in summer and winter, less often in the off-season. Telluride Express serves Telluride Regional Airport.
Telluride magazine prints an excellent historic walking tour in its "Visitors' Guide" section. The town is made up of one pastel Victorian residence or frontier trading post after another. It's hard to believe that the lovingly restored shops and restaurants once housed gaming parlors and saloons known for the quality of their "waitressing." That party-hearty spirit lives on, evidenced by numerous annual summer celebrations.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe