- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Glorious peaks surround Silverton, an isolated, unspoiled old mining community. It reputedly got its name when a miner exclaimed, "We ain't got much gold but we got a ton of silver!" Silverton is the county seat, as well as the only remaining town, in San Juan County. The last mine went bust in 1991 (which is recent as such things go), leaving Silverton to boom only in summer when the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad deposits four trainloads of tourists a day. The Silverton Mountain ski area has also helped the town to shake off its long slumber, and more businesses are finding it worthwhile to stay open year-round.
Silverton's hardy and spirited populace still commemorates its rowdy past. At 5:30 pm on Thursday through Sunday evenings a gunfight erupts at the corner of Blair and 12th streets. Unsuprisingly, the good guys always win. At 6 pm the town's much-ballyhooed brass band plays old favorites.
The downtown area has been designated a National Historic Landmark District. Be sure to pick up the walking-tour brochure that describes—among other things—the most impressive buildings lining Greene Street: Miners' Union Hall, Teller House, the Town Hall, the San Juan County Courthouse (home of the county historical museum), and the Grand Imperial Hotel. These structures have historical significance, but more history was probably made in the raucous red-light district along Blair Street.
Silverton at a Glance
Elsewhere in Telluride and Southwest Colorado
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Comfort Inn Fr $123+/Nt Expedia
- Super Low Gunnison Rate: Book Fr $116+/Nt Hotels.com
- $30.95 & up : Economy rentals in Gunnison Hotwire
- Gunnison Savings! Book at Quality Inn Gunnison Fr $130+/Nt — $130 Expedia
- $38.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Gunnison — $39 Hotwire