- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Strater Hotel Review
Still the hottest spot in town, this grande dame opened for business in 1887. Inside, the Diamond Belle Saloon glitters with crystal chandeliers, rustic oak beams, and plush velvety curtains, and the Office Spiritorium offers a quiet escape for drinks and conversation. The individually decorated rooms are exquisite—no surprise, as the hotel owns the country's largest collection of Victorian antiques and has its own wood-carving shop to create exact period reproductions. Your room might have been visited by Butch Cassidy, Louis L'Amour (he wrote The Sacketts here), Francis Ford Coppola, John Kennedy, or Marilyn Monroe (the latter two stayed here at separate times).
Open since 1887, this Victorian hotel is still a Durango hot spot, with extra touches such as free mountain-bike storage for modern Western adventurers. Maybe you'll get the room where Butch Cassidy stayed or where Louis L'Amour wrote the Sacketts series. After riding the nearby vintage train, relax in the Diamond Bell Saloon, a ragtime piano bar complete with costumed dance-hall girls.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Durango Fr $135+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $8/night less
- Durango Savings! Book at Residence Inn Durango Fr $249+/Nt Expedia
- $18.95 & up : Compact rentals in Durango Hotwire
- $88.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Montrose — $88 Hotwire
- $20.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Durango — $21 Hotwire
We took a trip West. Read more
Haven't posted here in awhile, but felt the need to repay the research I found on Fodor's for this trip!
I was searching for a spring break skiing destination for me & my 11 y.o. - needed sufficie Read more
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
You know Telluride for its white powder slopes in the winter and fun summer weekend festivals, but fall... Read more
If you haven't booked your Presidents' Day getaway yet, fear not, as there are still deals to be had.... Read more